Welcome to the Aldworth History page
ALDWORTH, or Allder, a parish in Wantage district, Berks; in a high hilly tract, near Icknield-street, 3 miles WSW of Goring r. station, and 4 E by S of East Ilsley. Post Town, Ashampstead under Reading. Acres, 1,960. Real property, £2,119. Pop., 275. Houses, 64. The manor belonged to the family of De la Beche, one of whom was tutor to the Black Prince; and a farm called Beach was the site of their baronial castle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £449. Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church contains nine remarkable monuments of the De la Beches, two of them altar-tombs, and all so interesting, that Queen Elizabeth made a journey on horseback to see them. A yew-tree, 27 feet in girth, is in the churchyard.
1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales
Aldworth well, c1895
For information on the Aldworth Giants click here.